Raptr Forum Signature

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Progress & Perfectionism

 I would like to avoid only writing my completely-biased, admittedly-opinionated reviews of the games I play. Hell, I'd even like to update more often than just on Wednesdays; but for now, that's what you're getting, seeing as how I'm in an extremely lazy mood, and could care less. No, really. I love you all. I swear.

Ahem.

 What I will do, though, is at least give little insights as to what I've been up to, in between reviews. Something is better than nothing, as they say. They... do say that, right? Hrm.

 I suffer from being a perfectionist, and would probably be diagnosed with severe OCD if I decided to actually tell my doctor about my anal tendencies (rimshot!). As a result, I find it necessary to do everything I can in a game, find nearly every item (if not every item), complete every side quest and objective, and plan out my progression in advance. Why? Because I'm probably legally insane, or simply OCD... or maybe it's something else. Hmm. Moving on.

 Where I'm going with this is that I tend to take an exorbitant amount of time completing games, and it usually takes me twice, if not three times the amount of time that it would a normal gamer to complete them (and yes, I keep this in mind when listing game completion time in my reviews). I'm not really going to apologize for doing that, 'cause it's just what I do. Who knows, maybe someone will find it inspiring, or maybe even informative... more than likely, simply a form of amusement; but it's what I do, yo. I do want to make it clear, though, so if anyone happens to be interested in knowing about my gameplay in illustrious detail, I'm in the terrible habit of keeping track of nearly everything.

... and I do mean nearly everything.

 From stats, to personal strategies, to whatever else I end up thinking of. I keep all of this seemingly useless information in the form of Google docs (I really do love you guys, Google) so anyone who wishes to peek at the stuff can feel free and do so in real-time. Oooh, fancy.

 If I'm playing a game that I'm working toward completing, it's likely that I'll have a "game data" document and will be updating it as I play the game. I'll almost always link to these Google docs both on the "game schedule" sidebar and in my "game completion" doc (didja call that one?). My data won't be perfect, nor will it be necessarily complete, but it'll be there. I have an entire folder dedicated to storing this stuff, so if you'd ever like to browse through, you're more than welcome to. Not like you'd want to, but... it's there, if you do -- and if you do, sweet. I feel special, now.

 With that out of the way, I can tell you that I'm making progress on my playthrough of Final Fantasy Tactics, which I'm about 50 hours into, and am at the beginning of the final chapter -- and I'm still relatively early into Dragon Quest IX, which will more than likely end up being an long-term, ongoing game, seeing as how it promises endless gameplay after the story mode is completed. I'll surely spend hours upon hours maxing out my characters and working toward 100% completion, even though that's near-impossible with how much content the game offers. Also, simultaneously, I've been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, and haven't made too much progress due to being hopelessly addicted to leveling several characters and playing several time-consuming games at once. Fail.

Sure would've been nice to have gotten into the Japanese Phantasy Star Online 2 closed beta... but then again, that would've slowed down my snails-pace of a progress even further. More fail.

... but it's PSO2. Who am I kidding? THE WORLD STOPS FOR PSO2, I tell you. STOPS!!!

Fanboygasm complete. Games... incomplete. And quite so. I'll... keep working on that. Yeah. Tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment