Raptr Forum Signature

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Achievements

 Having no job and no source of income, you'd think I wouldn't have a problem just sitting back and playing through my massive collection of games that I've managed to accrue from over the years... right?

 Well, no. That's exactly what my problem is. I have so many games readily available to me that I'm having a seriously difficult time committing myself to one in particular. I was diligently playing Dragon Warrior VII, but now I find myself addicted to Super Street Fighter IV and the various Xbox LIVE arcade games that I've purchased thanks to close friends of mine. I need to come up with some sort of system to properly balance my game time, else I'll never make any progress. Yeesh... any suggestions?

 Speaking of Xbox LIVE games... I have a horrible, horrible weakness. I'm an achievement whore. Yes, I admit this freely... Woe is me, for I am not satisfied until I have absolutely every single one of those meaningless points attained by completing certain tasks.

 The dilemma? I'm not as great at games as I wish I were. These achievements are there to make us put in the extra time and effort to achieve them, naturally... but damn if they don't frustrate us to hell and back in the process. How in the hell I'm going to "complete every round of an arcade-mode game on medium difficulty or higher in less than 20 seconds" is completely beyond me, for starters.

Yet achievements... these... ridiculously difficult goals... they call to me. They beckon me. They taunt me...

 "Michael... Michael...," they chide. "If you cannot obtain us, you are not the gamer which you claim to be... You are nothing... NOTHING!!!!"

 Sigh... These achievements make me feel so awesome when I finally get them, but so absolutely crappy when they seem to be a distant dream. Why is it that we care so much about achievements? Is the feeling of gratification from obtaining them truly that rewarding? Is it really worth all of the stress and frustration in the attempts of achieving such goals?

Why... yes. Yes, it is.

 Screw you, Xbox. And Steam, too. For you both have taken advantage of my completionist, perfectionist, OCD nature and turned me into an obsessive, achievement-seeking machine.

Unfortunately for me... I still suck at games.

1 comment:

  1. LOL.. I'm that way too. I absolutely love the games from Q Games (Rez, Lumines, E4... mainly because I loved Rez on the DC). So I am playing them to DEATH to get every achievement. I have ONE left for Rez (lol) and two horrible ones for Lumines. Some of the ones for E4 I just have to write off as impossible, though.. XD

    btw I read your post about ragequitting when I was on my mobile, it made me laugh... I play WoW on and off, so I see that kind of rubbish all the time, but that was something very special. XDD

    ReplyDelete